Qur’an, Sura Al Baqara, Chapter 2
183. O you who believe, fasting is ordained for you, as it was ordained for those before you, that you may have taqwa.
184. (Fast) a certain number of days, except for those who are sick among you and those who are on a journey. (They may fast the same) number of other (later) days, and for those who can afford it there is compensation in the feeding of a needy person. Then, whoever does good out of the goodness of their heart, it will be for their own good. If you only knew, fasting is better for you.
185. The month of Ramadan is the month when the Qur’an was revealed as a guidance for humankind and with clear proofs of the guidance and the Furqan. So whoever is present during the month, let them fast throughout it, and whoever is sick or on a journey let them (fast the same) number of other days. Allah wants ease for you, and does not desire hardship for you. So you should complete the numbered (days) and praise Allah for guiding you, so that you may have the opportunity to be among the thankful.
186. And when My dependents ask you about Me, I am most certainly near. I respond to the callers when they call Me. So let them hear My call (also) and let them believe in Me, so they may have an opportunity to grow in maturity.
187. It is made lawful for you to be intimate with your wives on the night of the fast. They are garments for you, and you are garments for them. Allah knows that you were deceiving yourselves in this respect. He has turned in mercy and kindness to you, and relieved your burden. So you may have sex with them, and seek that which Allah has ordained for you, and eat and drink until, at dawn, a white thread becomes distinct to you from a black thread. Then observe the fast till the night falls. While you confine yourselves for itekaf [seclusion] in the masjids (should you choose to observe itekaf), do not have sexual relations with your spouses. These are the boundaries of Allah, so do not overstep them. This is how Allah expands His ayats [lessons; messages] to humankind, so that they may have taqwa.
Qur’an, Sura Al Qamar, Chapter 54
17. And indeed We have made the Qur’an easy to remember. But is there anyone who remembers and takes heed?
Names of Allah
Al Mujib – The Responsive One
Al Qarib – The One Who Is Near; The One Who Is Connected; The One Who Is Related To All
‘abd, abid: devotee; dependent; subject
ayat : sign; portent; lesson; message; proof; revelation; verse; evidence
Furqan : Criterion of Right and Wrong
‘ibad: plural of ‘abd
itekaf : seclusion
masjid : mosque; place of worship and devotion; sanctuary
Qur’an : Lecture, Recitation
rahma: mercy and kindness; grace
rashid: mature; wise; sound of mind; sensible; rational
taqwa : self-vigilance; following the guidelines of Allah; watching over one’s deeds to conform with Allah’s rights and wrongs; devotion
tasbih: glorification; chanting in glorification; repeating the names of Allah with the help of prayer beads; prayer beads; rosary; continuous glorification through repetition of Allah’s names
zikr: remembrance; mentioning Allah’s name repeatedly with certain intention and contemplation; glorification or supplication; reminder
Translation by Murshid Shaykh Taner Vargonen Ansari
Love, Peace and Togetherness in Goodness
Ya Wadud Ya Salaam Ya Jami Ya Nafi