Qur’an, Sura Al Baqara, Chapter 2
Ayat al Kursi (Verse of the Throne)
255. Allah, there is no ilah besides Him, Al Hayy [The Alive One], Al Qayyum [The Eternal Caretaker]. Neither slumber nor sleep overtake Him. Whatever is in the heavens and the earth belongs to Him. There is no one who can intercede with Him except by His permission. He knows what is ahead of them and what is behind them, and they can comprehend (or have access to) nothing of His knowledge/science except as He allows. His Kursi [Throne] encompasses the heavens and the earth, and He is never tired of protecting and preserving them, and He is Al Ali [The Exalted One], Al Azim [The Magnificent One].
See transliteration of Ayat al Kursi (2:255) below…
256. There is no compulsion in din. Surely the sensible, mature path is distinct from the sinful path. So whoever disbelieves in taghut [false objects of worship] and believes in Allah has indeed held the firmest grip that will never break. Allah is Sami and Alim.
257. Allah is the Wali of those who believe. He brings them out of zulm [ignorance] and into the nur [enlightenment]. And as to those who disbelieve, the taghut are their so-called guardians, who take them out of the nur and into zulm. Those are the companions of the Fire. They will live there for an enduring time.
Names of Allah
Al Ali – The High and Exalted One
Al Alim – The All-Knowing One
Al Azim – The Magnificent One; The One High in Might; The Tremendous One
Al Hafiz – The Preserver and Protector
Al Hayy – The Alive One; The Continuously Existing One
Al Nur – The Light
Al Qayyum – The Caretaker; The Eternal One
Al Sami – The Hearer; The Listener
Al Wali – The Protecting Friend; The Guardian; The Ally
Arsh: Throne; Roof and Power Grid of the universe; Seat of Power in the universe; the Place of Origin; Stage from which Allah makes decisions; Command Post
din: way of doing righteous deeds; way of life; right path of connectedness with Allah; way of relationship with God
ilah: higher power; god
ilm: knowledge; science
ilm al ladun: divine knowledge received directly from Allah
ilm al yaqin: sure knowledge through research or written/verbal communication
rashid: mature; wise; sound of mind; sensible; rational
sirat al mustaqim, siratin(un, an) mustaqim: straight path; confirmed and sure path
taghut: false deities; false objects of worship; idols; seducers
tasbih: glorification; chanting in glorification; repeating the names of Allah with the help of prayer beads; prayer beads; rosary; continuous glorification through repetition of Allah’s names
zikr: remembrance; mentioning Allah’s name repeatedly with certain intention and contemplation; glorification or supplication; reminder
Translation by Murshid Shaykh Taner Vargonen Ansari
The above Arabic text is from https://legacy.quran.com/2/255.
Transliteration of Ayat al Kursi
2:255. Allahu la ilaha illahu Al Hayy-ul Qayyum. La ta’khuzuhu sinatun wa la nawm. Lahu ma fis–samawati wa ma fil ard. Man zallazi yashfa–u indahu illa bi–iznih. Ya’lamu ma bayna aydihim wa ma khalfahum. Wa la yuhituna bi shay–im min ilmihi illa bima shaa. Wasi’a Kursiy yuhus–samawati wal ard. Wa la ya–uduhu hifzuhuma wa hu wal Aliy-ul Azim.
It is recommended to memorize this verse of the Qur’an-i Karim and to recite it after every fardz salat (namaz). Below is one of its other use.
Spiritual cleansing (for the house)
To protect yourself against the jinn [hidden being(s) with consciousness and abilities similar to humans], the unseen evil things, and the evil things happening in the world today, you need to learn and repeat Ayat al Kursi, Verse of the Throne.
Sealing the house with Ayat al Kursi
Seal your house and yard, business or property weekly by reciting Ayat al Kursi.
• Make intention: “O Allah, I would like to seal this house in Your Name and cleanse
it of all negativities, seen and unseen beings.”
• Start at the main front door. Touch index finger of your right hand on your lips and say Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim.
• Use the index finger to point at the walls. Start walking on your right, while pointing and reading Ayat al Kursi. Follow the walls, making an X over all windows, openings, sliding doors/doors leading outside with the intention of closing them.
Make an X over floors and ceilings too.
Repeat until you have covered the whole house. Do bathroom/toilet as well. You will again end up at the main front door.
• Do not cross interleading doors in house.
• Finally make an X over the main front door.
• Do the same procedure on property/in the yard.
When you recite Ayat al Kursi, angels come. For each ayat there is an angel. These angels are protecting angels. After a while, it wears off. Therefore, repeat it at least once a week.
Excerpt of the book “Dua, The Way of Supplication” by Es-Seyyid Es-Shaykh Taner Vargonen Ansari
Copyright © 2019 by Ansari Publications